2020 saw the first year that trophies were awarded to people and products that excelled.
Why target women in the wine and spirit market?
Women are the biggest wine and spirit drinking segment
56% of wine drinkers in South Africa are female and wine is usually their first alcohol choice.
Women are the main buyers of wine
In the USA women women buy 70% of wine that is intended for home consumption, and 80% of the total wine sold. In the UK women buy 70% of the wine sold.
Quality awards strongly influence buying decisions
If a buying decision needs to be made for an unknown product awards have a strong influence in finalising such a decision.
WINE AND SPIRIT JUDGED BY WOMEN FOR WOMEN
Women make up a significant percentage of the wine and spirit buying public, yet surprisingly few marketing drives target women specifically. One might think a buyer is a buyer, whether male or female, and it doesn’t matter that the one market segment is neglected, but it’s been proven that men and women have different brand responses and buying patterns.
Too often, marketers underestimate the purchasing power of women and simply neglect them in their marketing strategies. The SA Women’s Wine & Spirit Awards aim to target this consumer market by having women judges whose endorsements serve as a recommendation in order to influence female consumers and wine buyers.
All winemakers and distillers, male as well as female, can enter the SA Women’s Wine & Spirit Awards and all products will be judged on merit. If your winery or distillery has a woman at the helm, she will be eligible to be awarded a trophy for the “Woman Winemaker of the Year” or “Woman Distiller of the Year”.
The unique position of this competition is to give women their own say when selecting a wine or spirit. The judges are well qualified to select the best wines or spirits but being an all women panel, their vote is also a reliable indication of what women consumers would prefer.
Trusted by women and wine lovers since 2016
Michelle is a former head of The Cape Wine Academy and a seasoned veteran many wine competitions.
Some of our partners that help make this event possible
All winemakers and distillers, both male and female, can enter the SA Women’s Wine & Spirit Awards and all products will be judged on merit.
If your winery or distillery has a woman at the helm, she will be eligible to be awarded a trophy for “Woman Winemaker of the Year” or “Woman Distiller of the Year”.
The judges are all fully qualified to assess all the entries and will judge the products on merit and in a professional manner.
SAWWA will confer a Gold Award to signify good quality. The trophies to be awarded are:
- “Woman Winemaker of the Year”
- “Woman Distiller of the Year”
- “Best Méthode Cap Classique”(male or female winemaker)
- “Best sparkling wine – non Méthode Cap Classique” (male or female winemaker)
The judges will be female consumers or members of the trade who have a deep interest and understanding of wine and spirit. They are lovers of wines and spirits and are representative of the exact demographic who will be seeking to spend their money on wine and spirits.
You’re not obligated to order stickers; if you do not want any, indicate the number on the entry form as 0 (zero). Once the results have been revealed, you have to take the number of stickers you indicated. Stickers will be available approximately two weeks after the winners have been notified.
- Early bird entries are R750 excluding VAT per entry from 24 March to 22 June 2021.
- Normal entries are R975 excluding VAT per entry from 23 June to 21 July 2021.
- Late entries are R1170 excluding VAT per entry from 22 July to 27 July 2021. Stickers will be available at R375 excluding VAT for a roll of 1000.
A wine sample has to comprise only three 750ml bottles and a spirit sample has to comprise only two 750ml bottles, or the volumetric equivalent thereof.
The tasting procedure will be audited to ensure the judges are not influenced; and the tastings are done blind and conform to international standards.
Early bird entry fee R750 excluding VAT from 24 March until 22 June 2021
Early bird entry price ends, and the regular entry fee of R975 excluding VAT applies from 23 June to 21 July 2021
Late entry fee of R1170 excluding VAT from 23 July applies to final close on 27 July 2021
Final entries close
Final delivery of samples
What does the sticker look like?
The sticker measures 25 mm across and is pictured above.
- Perlé or Slightly Sparkling Wine Any sugar level
- Sparkling Wine (Non-MCC) RS<=15 g/L
- Sparkling Wine (Non-MCC) RS>15 g/L
- Méthode Cap Classique (MCC)
- Chenin Blanc RS<=10 g/L
- Chenin Blanc RS>10 g/L
- Colombar RS<=10 g/L
- Colombar RS>10 g/L
- Chardonnay RS<=10 g/L
- Chardonnay RS>10 g/L
- Pinot Gris
- Weisser Riesling (Rhine Riesling)
- Sauvignon Blanc RS<=10 g/L
- Sauvignon Blanc RS>10 g/L
- Viognier RS<=10 g/L
- Other Single White Varietal RS<=10 g/L
- Other Single White Varietal RS>10 g/L
- White Blend RS<=10 g/L
- White Blend RS>10 g/L
- Blanc de Noir and Rosé RS<=10 g/L
- Blanc de Noir and Rosé RS>10 g/L
- Low-Alcohol Wine Alc <10%
- Cabernet Franc RS<=10 g/L
- Cabernet Sauvignon RS<=10 g/L
- Malbec RS<=10 g/L
- Merlot RS<=10 g/L
- Mourvèdre RS<=10 g/L
- Petit Verdot RS<=10 g/L
- Pinot Noir RS<=10 g/L
- Pinotage RS<=10 g/L
- Shiraz RS<=10 g/L
- Other Single Red Varietal RS<=10 g/L
- Bordeaux-Style Red May only contain the five Bordeaux varietals; RS<=10 g/L
- Cape Blend At least 30% Pinotage but no more than 70%; RS<=10 g/L
Other Red Blend RS<=10 g/L
- Special Late Harvest RS>50 g/L
- Noble Late Harvest Any sugar level
- Straw Wine Any sugar level
- Cape Ruby Port
- Cape Tawny Port
- Cape Vintage Port
- Cape Late-Bottled Vintage Port
- Other Port
- White Jeripigo
- Red Jeripigo
- White Muscadel
- Red Muscadel
- Fino Sherry
- Oloroso Sherry
- Cream Sherry
- Brandy Non Vintage/ Age not Defined
- Brandy 3-8 Years
- Brandy 9-12 years
- Brandy 13-20 years
- Brandy from Fruit
- Whisky Scottish
- Whiskey Irish
- Whiskey – USA
- Whiskies – Other
- Vodka/Eau de Vie unflavoured
- Flavoured Vodka
- Rice Wine
- Grappa – plain
- Grappa infused with other flavours
- London Dry Gin
- Plymouth style Gin
- New style Gin
- Gin Other
- Unaged Rum
- Aged Rum
- White Rum
- Citrus Liqueur
- Coffee Liqueur
- Cream Liqueur
- Fruit Liqueur
- Herbal/Botanical/Spiced Liqueur
- Nut Liqueur
- White Vermouth
- Red Vermouth
- Flavoured White Wine Still
- Flavoured Red Wine Still
Rules of the competition
- Submission of samples and/or payment of entry fees constitutes acceptance of all the rules.
- Tank samples will not be accepted as entries into the competition.
- All non-flavoured wine must be accompanied by a SAWIS (South African Wine Industry Information & Systems – www.sawis.co.za) application number, and the stickers awarded may only be applied to the wine attached to the application number. If a certain wine has more than one application number, the wines must be entered separately.
- Each non-flavoured wine has to have a current WSR2 or WSR4 certificate showing that the wine was approved on the strength of taste and analysis by SAWIS, or the Department of Agriculture Wine-on-Line screen capture printout to show the wine has a current tasting date. This certificate must be current (i.e. the wine must have been tasted and approved by the board no later than one year before in the case of a white wine and 18 months in the case of a red wine). A sample will not be accepted without this certificate. No refunds will be paid if the WSR2 or WSR4 certificate is not current.
- Each category will be determined by the product information on the label.
- There is no minimum stock quantity needed to enter a product.
- There is no limit to the number of entries per producer. However, each wine, flavoured wine or spirit may only be entered once into the competition (even if it is under a different label). Any participant may enter more than one wine, flavoured wine or spirits in a class. Examples are wineries that produce several wines of the same varietal type, but with different vineyard designations or vintages.
- A wine that has not been certified as a cultivar wine, although it may be one, may be entered into a blended category.
- A product that received an award in a previous year’s competition may be entered again.
- Entries and registration will be accepted online from the entry date stated on the website up to midnight on the close of entries. Proof of payment must be emailed to email@example.com before midnight on the closing date for entries to be accepted.
- Invoices for entries must be printed online by the participant, and paid before the final close of entries.
- A wine sample must comprise of three 750ml bottles, or the volumetric equivalent thereof and a spirit sample of two 750ml bottles, or the volumetric equivalent thereof.
- The samples must be delivered to the drop-off point between 09:00 and 16:00 on the two days allocated to be accepted into the competition.
- Winners will be notified by email, and stickers will be available for collection about two weeks later. Proof of payment of both the entries and stickers is needed before stickers can be collected.
- Quantities of stickers ordered that are not multiples of 1000 will be rounded up and invoiced as such.
- By entering the competition, the entrant commits to paying for the number of stickers indicated before the required deadline for the products that receive awards.
- The producer may only use the stickers awarded on the particular product that was entered and won the award. Stickers may not be put onto another batch of product similar to the one entered that did not win an award in this year’s competition. Participants must always market their winning products in conjunction with the year of the competition the wine won the award.
- The competition logo or stickers may not be displayed on their own for purposes of marketing, but must be accompanied by the details of the particular product that won, or may be photographed on the product that won the award.
- Any samples remaining at the conclusion of the judging becomes the property of the competition.
- The judging process will be entirely confidential and no details will be released concerning the judging process and reasoning. No feedback of any nature will be given.
- The decision of the judges is final and no changes will be made to awards after the judging process is complete. In the event of a dispute, this competition’s decision will be final.
- No refund of entry fees will be made.
- By entering the competition, the entrant states that the information provided is factually and legally correct.
- If a participant does not follow all the rules of the competition or legal requirements as required by SAWIS, the competition has the right to disqualify the particular entry concerned or the entire year’s entries, or ban the producer from the competition.
- The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd will not make available a list of all the producers that took part in the competition, or reveal the scores assigned to any product, or make available the details of products that were not awarded. It remains the prerogative of The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd to publish results of awarded products as they see fit.
- Entries will only be accepted in English.
- Entries must be completed in full, and entries that were not completed in full could be declared void.
- Employees of the competition or their immediate family are not allowed to enter the competition.
- If an entrant does not comply with the rules of the competition, their entries may be cancelled.
- The producer whose product is entered must be fully aware of the submission, and must grant the person entering the competition the right to enter the product and order stickers. If this is not found to be the case, the person entering the competition will be liable for any financial commitment made.
- In the event that for any reason possible the judging cannot take place, or entrants cannot be given results, half of the entrant’s entry fee will be refunded, and no other damages will be awarded to the competition, or any of the companies involved.
- For any claim to be made against The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd for defective stickers, the stickers must be returned to Postnet in Stellenbosch within 7 days after date of delivery to Postnet. The Awards Show (Pty) Ltd will within its discretion either replace or pass a credit for defective stickers so proven, but shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, or any other loss, including loss to third parties and legal expenses, arising out of errors in carrying out providing stickers, or by delay in delivery, or by unsuitability of goods for use intended.
- This competition cannot be held liable for any damage incurred to stickers once the stickers have been accepted by the client or by a third party transportation company.
- This competition can change the rules of the competition without notice, and publish them on the website without giving notice to entrants. If an entrant does not want to comply with the new rules of the competition, they can cancel their entries up to the date that the entries close. After this time, entrants have to comply with the rules of the competition.